Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Saying Goodbye

Tonight and this past week, I've been saying goodbye to all that Verdun has meant to me.

Tonight was my last drink with the French girls, the Spaniards, and the other assistants.  Some of them I won't miss...how could I, I hardly know them? 

I went up to the bartender, Frederick (yep, we're on first-name terms with our bartender...super embarrassing, but a good illustration of what Verdun is all about) and told him and Thierry that tonight was my last night with them.  He gave me la bise, winked, and told me he was coming to Chicago next year to visit me.  yeah right.  It was really touching.  (He owns the place, I think, even though he's kinda young).  As Rosie says, "Never say never" so who knows, I may run into him yet.

Then, as I said goodbye to everyone else, there was an outpouring of people who suddenly want to come and visit me, which was really cute.  The tears aren't coming yet, but I may be a basket case when I see Rosie for the last time.

Last week was also the last week at my lycée.  My students (seconde) were soooo sweet.  They signed a card that said "I love you Mary! Kiss you!  I miss you!" all over it.  Not much variance (the teacher laughed and explained that their vocab was slightly limited).  Then we took pictures together as a group.  Some of my sstudents took celebrity photos with me.  I'm pretty sure that photo is plastered all over the internet by now. One student told me that he will remember me until his deathbed.  Who couldn't help but cry after that?

But that isn't all.  That class gave me two cookbooks and a box of candy.  Another class gave me "a taste of Lorraine" with another cookbook, two jars of jam, cookies, and a pan to cook it.  They also gave me a large bottle of perfum and three smaller samples and a card that had "bon retour"written all over it.  Cute.

The teachers also showered me with gifts.  And the girl I tutored.  Gosh, you'd think the other assistants did absolutely nothing while they were here. I can safely say that I worked hard here, but not enough to deserve all this.

The people here are really generous.  Really Really generous.
 ...my loot.  And this was before I got the candy and the other books.

I still have a few days left of teaching and then a TON of traveling.  It feels so funny to be saying goodbye when I won't be home for weeks yet.

No tears. Not yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment